2018-2019 APPLICATIONS ARE OPEN – DEADLINE is JUNE 15 (Deadline Extended as of June 7, 2018)
The Scholar-Artist program honors up to 40 Long Island high school seniors who demonstrate excellence in their overall high school career, as well as in their arts specialty, at the annual Scholar-Artist Gala at the Tilles Center for the Performing Arts.
Those who meet all criteria are selected for one of three awards. The award for the top 20 students is the Scholar-Artist designation. This prestigious award carries with it the highest possible level of media attention for students and for their district arts programs. The second honor for up to 20 students is the Award of Merit.
- Be nominated by their high school; with applications submitted by a district administrator.
- Be graduating seniors from the Class of 2019.
- Represent the highest level of artist excellence.
- Demonstrate superior academic achievement with an un-weighted grade point average of 90 or above.
- Submit a portfolio of their work and an essay.
- Submit a Student Essay which describes ways in which their involvement in the arts has enriched their lives.
- Submit a portfolio as per requirements listed under each individual category:
Awards for Scholar-Artists and Awards of Merit will be presented at the Scholar-Artist Gala at the Tilles Center for the Performing Arts in Spring, 2019. Individual awards are as follows:
Photos and profiles of two Scholar-Artists (one each from Nassau and Suffolk counties) will appear each month in Newsday and at Newsday.com. At the spring-time Gala, students receive a $250 honorarium and a framed copy of their profile. School districts also receive a copy for prominent display.
Award of Merit:
Students are listed on Newsday and Newsday.com. Students receive an award and a certificate.
A MAJOR CHANGE TO THE APPLICATION PROCESS HAS BEEN UPDATED AND STREAMLINED AS FOLLOWS:
A Thumb Drive with the following items postmarked by June 15, 2018 are to be mailed to Dr. John Gallagher at 30 Swezey Lane, Middle Island, NY 11953:
- Teacher Nomination Form
- Signature Form
- Student Application Form
- Essay Rubric
- Transcripts that include grades from the Freshman, Sophomore and first half of Junior year. If they cannot be placed on the Thumb Drive, please mail them to the address above.
- Video of Performance or Art Work as described below under “Individual Category Requirements”
ENVELOPE MUST CLEARLY DENOTE THE ARTS AREA FOR WHICH STUDENT IS APPLYING
CLICK ON LINK BELOW
for Individual Category Requirements:
For additional information, please contact Dr. John Gallagher
Dance sub-committee contact: Shirlene Blake
Visual Arts subcommittee contact: Judith Chen
Theater Arts subcommittee contact: Jim Incorvaia
Music subcommittee contact: Marc Greene
Media Arts subcommittee contact: Carol Brown